Multi-year International Achievements
Multi-year International Achievements
- CanSat is a NASA sponsored and American Astronautical Society organized annual international competition. The contest allows student teams, from colleges and Universities around the world, to design, fabricate, and launch an aerospace system (CanSat). IIIT-H has been has been the only team from India to qualify for World Finals, each time, since 2009.
- World Third, at Finals, at Abilene, Texas, USA, June 10-12
- Check Cansat website for final rankings.
- Read IIIT-H internal announcement (PDF, HTML)
- World First, at the Finals at Amarillo, Texas, USA; June 13
- Only team from Asia to qualify for World Finals
- Check Cansat website for final rankings. Media release.
- World 8th at World Finals. (June 2009)
- First ever team from India to qualify for CanSat.
- Check Cansat website for final rankings.
Document Understanding Conferences (DUC)
US Department of Commerce’ agency National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) holds Text Analysis Conference (TAC) every year. TAC was called Document Understanding Conferences (DUC) till 2008. In 2009, TAC attracted from across the world around 40 leading research teams including the University of Columbia, Stanford, Microsoft Research, IBM Research Labs, University of Edinburgh, and National University of Singapore (NUS). Below are the results of IIIT-H’s participation at TAC/ DUC.
in Knowledge Based Population Track (TAC)
. Check 2008
in Squishy Question Answering Task (TAC)
. Check 2007
in Query Focused Multi-Document Summarization Tasks (DUC). Check 2006
World No. 1
in Query Focused Multi-Document Summarization Tasks (DUC)
- ACM ICPC is the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contest. The 2012 edition drew for its first stage over 30,000 participants on more than 7,000 teams, representing around 2,200 universities, in over 85 countries. Results of IIIT-H’s participation over the past four years.
(36th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, Warsaw, Poland
) - Only Indian college to qualify for World Finals, for fourth time in a row.
- World 18th position. Check
- Best performance by an Indian team in ICPC history (co-shared with IIT Delhi). 2011
(35th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals
, Orlando, Florida, USA)
- Top Indian team
- World 42nd position. Check
- Only Indian college with two teams qualified for World Finals -
Awarded Certificate of Achievement 2010
(34th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals,
- Top Indian team
- World 36th position. Check
- Awarded Certificate of Achievement 2009
(33rd Annual ACM ICPC World Finals
, Stockholm, Sweden)
- Top Indian team
- World 54th position. Check
- Received Honorable Mention
- Google India Women in Engineering Awards: The Awards –called Google India Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship from 2012 – are meant to recognize and reward deserving women students in Computer Science and related majors, and inspire them to become active participants and leaders in creating technology. Given annually, the award is based on excellence in academics, passion for technology, demonstrated leadership, and originality of thought
Lydia Manikonda, a dual degree student (CSE). Check
the official list of awardees.
for IIIT-H Internal Announcement. 2010 – Two students Chhaya Methani
, dual degree (CSE) Kirti Garg
, PhD (CSE) Check
the list of awardees. 2009
Sahiti Polishetty, B Tech (CSE). Check
the list of awardees.
IIIT-H’s Team Kshitji was the only team from India to have qualified for the finals of the RoboCup events, each year, for five years, since the inception of the international contest in 2004.
Awarded Best New Agent Award at the Trading Agent Competition Supply Chain Management (TAC SCM); (2006) Check.
Multi-year National Achievements
Multi-year National Achievements
- Number #1 globally
at the Sphere Online Judge (SPOJ),
a highly popular programming site, with over 30, 000 users from 120 countries, since April 2009.
- For rankings, click here
or check http://www.spoj.pl/ranks/institutions/
- Codechef – Every month since Jan 2010
- At least five
of the top 20 winners at the Codechef’s
national-level monthly programming contests, since Jan 2008, have been IIIT-H students.
- For details click here
or check at http://www.codechef.com
A Lasting Contribution to the Nation
A Lasting Contribution to the Nation
- Sampark (www.sampark.org.in)
- The Indian languages machine translation system developed by a IIIT-H led consortium, was launched by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, at the international conference WWW 2011, in March 2011.
- While the first edition of the system provides automatic text translation in four Indian language pairs, the next versions will feature a dozen more Indian languages.
- The consortium consisting of 11 Indian academic institutions has been funded by the Government of India's Department of Information Technology (DIT).
The following pages provide a year wise listing of IIIT-H students’ national and international accomplishments over the past five years.
- K Sai Deepak, in the first semester of his PhD program at IIIT-H’s Center for Visual Information Technologies (CVIT), was selected for 2012 Google PhD Fellowship. He was one of the four to be awarded the fellowship in India. Sai Deepak did MS by Research in Medical Image Analysis at CVIT, under the guidance of Prof. Jayanti Sivaswamy, in 2012. (PDF, HTML) (Aug)
- IIIT-H’s Lab for Spatial Informatics (LSI) launched VRGeo, an open-source collaborative technology for mapping geospatial information in India, at Garuda NKN (National Knowledge Networks) Partners Meet, C-DAC, Bengaluru, on July 20, 2012 (PDF, HTML) (July)
- Mr. Jayadev GAG, head of IIIT-H’s Communications and Fundraising, was extended the Best Placement and Brand Marketing Officer Award, at the World Education Congress 2012. The international award was in recognition of his earlier work at IIIT-H as head of placement. (PDF, HTML) (June)
- IIIT-H secured World No.3 place at the 10th Annual Trading Agent Competition Supply Chain Management (TAC SCM), in Valencia, Spain, June 4-8, 2012. TAC SCM was designed to capture many of the challenges involved in supporting dynamic supply chain practices. Check IIIT-H team IOTA in final rankings. Click for details (PDF, HTML) (June)
- IIIT-H finished Top 18 at the World Finals of the 36th Annual ACM ICPC 2012, Warsaw, Poland, on May 14-18. Best performance by an Indian team in ICPC history. Only college from India to qualify for the World Finals for the fourth time in a row. ACM ICPC is the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contest, and the 2012 edition drew for its first stage over 30,000 participants on more than 7,000 teams, representing around 2,200 universities, in over 85 countries, on six continents. Click for official rankings. IIIT-H internal announcement (PDF, HTML). (May)
- Prof. Nand Kishore Acharya, with IIIT-H’s Centre for Exact Humanities (CEH), was presented the prestigious award Maharana Kumbha Samman 2012, by the Maharana Mewar Foundation, Udaipur, India, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the Hindi literature. Details (PDF, HTML) (Feb)
- Mr. Jayadev GAG, head of IIIT-H’s Communications Office, was conferred the Best Placement & Brand Marketing Officer Award, by the Stars of the Industry Group. The award was in recognition of Mr. Jayadev’s leadership, brand marketing, and performance on placement, during an earlier stint as the head of IIIT-H’s campus placement for graduated classes 2007 to 2011. Details (PDF, HTML) (Feb)
- Music curriculum designed by IIIT-H’s Cultural Advisor Sri. DVK Vasudevan was adopted by the Government of AP’s Education Department for the Jawahar Bal Bhavan. Jawahar Bal Bhavan is a state wide, non formal educational initiative and targets children aged between 5 and 16 years. Details (PDF, HTML) (Jan)
- Prof. Nand Kishore Acharya, Centre for Exact Humanities (CEH), IIIT-H was conferred the Subramaniam Bharati Award 2011. The award, presented by the Kendriya Hindi Sansthan, a national level institution under the Government of India’s (GoI’s) Ministry of Human Resources Department (MHRD), recognizes contributions to Hindi literature. The award consists of one-lac rupee cash and a citation by the President of India. (Oct 2011)
IIIT-H’s Search and Information Extraction Lab (SIEL) was ranked World No.1 at CLEF-IP 2011. CLEF-IP is an international competition, conducted annually by the Cross Language Evaluation Forum (CLEF), and involves retrieving digitally stored patents in other languages that are similar to a given patent. Click for details. (Sept 2011)
- SETU Software Systems, IIIT-H’s first incubated company, appointed Mr. Srini Koppolu, the former corporate vice-president and managing director of Microsoft India Development Center (MIDC), as its chairman. SETU was conferred the Best Product Startup Award (in Enterprise category), by Information Technology & Services Industry Association of Andhra Pradesh (ITsAP), in 2010 (Sept 2011)
- Dr. Neelima Satyam, Assistant Professor, IIIT-H’s Earthquake Engineering Research Centre (EERC), was selected to receive the Institution of Engineers (India) Young Engineer Award 2011-12. The award, which recognizes outstanding contributions in engineering research, academics, engineering technology development, or technology transfer, is presented annually to a researcher below 35 years of age. (Sept 2011)
- A book on human values, co-authored by Prof. Rajeev Sangal, Director, IIIT-H was extended Commendation Award 2010-11 by the Indian Society for Training and Development (ISTD). The book, titled “A Foundation Course in Human Values and Professional Ethics”, is based on the proven principles of Jeevan Vidya, and presents a universal approach to value education through self exploration. (Sept 2011)
- Sridhar Chimalakonda, PhD student with IIIT-H’s Software Engineering and Research Lab (SERL), was invited by the Government of India’s (GoI’s) Planning Commission (PC) to be a Special Invitee at a meeting of the Steering Committee on Elementary Education and Literacy. The invitation was to solicit Sridhar’s suggestions on leveraging ICT to improve quality of adult literacy and primary schooling in India. (August 2011)
- IIIT-H stood third at CanSat 2011 World Finals, held at Abilene, Texas, USA, on June 10-12. IIIT-H team Mission Gaganyaan was the only team from India to qualify for the World Finals. CanSat is a NASA sponsored and American Astronautical Society organized annual international competition, which allows student teams, from colleges and Universities around the world to design, fabricate, and launch an aerospace system, as per competition specifications. (May) Click for details.
- In an uncommon achievement for an Indian University, two teams from IIIT-H qualified for the 35th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, held at Orlando Florida, USA, in May 2011. ACM ICPC is one of the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contests and the 35th edition drew for its first stage tens of thousands of participants on 7,319 teams, representing 1,931 universities, in 82 countries, on six continents. IIIT-H is the only university from India to have multiple teams qualified for the World Finals. (May 2011). Details.
- Dr. Shubhajit Roy Chowdhury, Assistant Professor, Center for VLSI & Embedded Systems Technologies (C-VEST), was selected as the Fellow of the Society of Applied Biotechnology (FSAB). (Sept 2011)
- A low cost, solar powered crop harvesting robot designed by researchers with IIIT-H’s Engineering & Technology Innovation Center (ENTICE), bagged the Overall First Prize, out of 1,600 entries, at Intel India Embedded Challenge 2011. (Aug 2011)
- Dr. Ramancharla Pradeep Kumar, Associate Professor and Head of IIIT-H’s Earthquake Engineering Research Centre (EERC), was conferred the Young Scientist Award from the Indian Concrete Institute (ICI). The award is presented annually to a researcher below 45 years of age and who has excelled in academics, research, publications, and contribution to ICI and society. (Aug)
- Dr. Deva Priyakumar, Assistant Professor, with IIIT-H’s Center Computational Natural Sciences and Bioinformatics (CCNSB) was awarded the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) Young Scientist Medal in chemical sciences for the year 2011. INSA Young Scientist Medal is considered to be the highest recognition of promise, creativity, and excellence in a young scientist, and is made annually. (May 2011) Details.
- Lydia Manikonda, a dual degree student of computer science and engineering, was presented the Women in Engineering Award 2011 by Google India. The award is based on excellence in academics, passion for technology, demonstrated leadership, and originality of thought. (March) Check here.
Akshar Speech Technologies, a technology start-up incubated at IIIT-H and founded by IIIT-H’s 2009 alumnus E. Veera Raghavendra and IIIT-H’s assistant professor Dr. Kishore Prahallad, launched for commercial and free personal use its first portfolio of cutting edge products – aSpeak (text-to-speech synthesis engine in Indian languages and Indian accented English) and aReader (screen reading software application for the visually impaired). Check (March)
- Prof. Rajeev Sangal, IIIT-H’s Director was presented the VASVIK Research Award (ICT Category), in recognition of outstanding contribution to the advancement of computer science, by Vividhlaxi Audyogik Samshodhan Vikas Kendra (VASVIK), a Mumbai based non-profit NGO (Feb)
- Dr. Deva Priyakumar, an assistant professor with IIIT-H’s Center for Computational Natural Sciences & Bioinformatics (CCNSB), was awarded the Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) for the year 2010. The award is presented to outstanding young scientists below the age of 35 years with innovative ideas and desirous of pursuing research in frontier areas of biotechnology. (Feb 2011)
- Prof. Kesav Nori, IIIT-H’s Distinguished Faculty member, was awarded the CSI Fellowship 2009-10 by the Computer Society of India (CSI). Prof. Kesav Nori is one of the three Indian computer science professionals to have ever been honored with the prestigious Fellowship for advancing the frontiers of the computer science discipline. (Nov 2010)
IIIT-H’s bachelor’s students of ECE finished top 4 in the World Embedded Systems Contest 2010 (WESC 2010). The honor was for their work on a virtual gaming environment deploying laser technology, at Seoul, South Korea, in November. (Oct 2010)
- Two student teams from IIIT-H won Services Innovation Challenge (SIC) awards at the First International Conference on Services in Emerging Markets (ICSEM) 2010 organized at the ISB, Hyderabad. (Sept)
- Nature India has published Dr. Deva Priyakumar’s pioneering research that has shed new light on the roles of a specific type of non-coding RNAs in bacteria1. Dr. Priyakumar is an Assistant Professor with IIIT-H’s Center for Computational Natural Sciences and Bioinformatics (CCNSB). (Aug 31, 2010) Details.
- Anish Shankar, IIIT-H’s undergraduate student, has been awarded a silver medal at the University of Waterloo, Canada held International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI) 2010. The IOI is one of the most recognized computer science competitions in the world for high school students and around 80 countries participate every year, each sending up to four contestants. (Aug). Details.
- IIIT-H was ranked FIRST at the CanSat 2010, ahead of all other premier Universities from across the world, at Amarillo, Texas, USA. The contest, organized by the American Astronautical Society and sponsored by NASA, required teams to design, fabricate, and launch into lower space an autonomous micro-satellite carrying a large raw egg of a hen intact, for the entire duration of the flight – from launch to landing. (June) Click here for final rankings.
- Three of the five instructors invited at the Infosys held programming camp to train advanced students of computer science from premier southern Indian engineering colleges for ACM-ICPC 2011 were IIIT-H students. (July) Check.
- IIIT-H swept the North American Association of Computational Linguistics (NAACL) held Student Research Workshop in California, USA. Out of the eight research papers finally selected from submissions from top universities across the world, five papers turned out to be from India and all of them were from IIIT-H. (June 2010)
- IIIT-H team won both the first and second ranks in the international contest Word Sense Disambiguation (WSD), in the unsupervised machine learning category. The team consisting of Siva Reddy and Abhilash Inumella, postgraduate research students from the institute’s Language Technologies Research Center (LTRC), later presented the work at a top tier international conference in NLP – Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL) 2010, Sweden. (April)
- SETU Software Systems, a IIIT-H incubated firm, was adjudged the Best Product Startup, in the Enterprise category, by the IT & ITES Association of Andhra Pradesh (ITsAP), at the 18th Annual Software Products Showcase, Awards and Conference 2009. SETU was set up by Dr. Prasad Pingali and Prof. Vasudeva Varma to help enterprise customers improve information access capabilities. (March 2010) Details.
- Two students - Chhaya Methani, dual degree (CSE), and Kirti Garg, PhD (CSE) – were presented the Women in Engineering Award 2010 by Google India. The award is based on excellence in academics, passion for technology, demonstrated leadership, and originality of thought. Check
- The Best Student Paper Award at the third India Software Engineering Conference (ISEC) 2010 (Mysore) was bagged by IIIT-H's Cloud Computing Group comprising of researchers from two of IIIT-H’s research labs - Search & Information Extraction Lab (SIEL) and Software Engineering Research Lab (SERL). (Feb) Check
- IIIT-H was the only team from India and was awarded the Certificate of Achievement for finishing 36th at the 34th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, Harbin, China, in Feb 2010. ACM ICPC is one of the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contests and the 34th edition drew for its first stage tens of thousands of participants on 7,319 teams, representing 1,931 universities, in 82 countries, on six continents. (Feb) Check
- Prof. Rajeev Sangal, Director, IIIT-H was named among the 50 Most Illustrious Alumni of IIT Kanpur from all graduated batches in 50 years since the institute’s inception. The honor was bestowed by IITK's alumni association, on the eve of the institute’s golden jubilee celebrations. (Jan 2010)
- IIIT-H, in its eleventh year, figured among top 7 technology schools in the country, in Dataquest-IDC's India’s Top Engineering Colleges Survey 2009. Details.
- IIIT-H has been ranked among the Best 6 Universities in South Asia, in terms of research papers on the Internet, in a once-in-a-3-year survey, by Cybermetric Lab, Spain’s largest public research institution. (Oct 2009) Details.
- The India Today, India’s leading news magazine, named IIIT-H as one of the 25 Extraordinary Individuals and Institutions that have transformed education in India. (July 27, 2009)
- IIIT-H has been named by the US based National Science Foundation (NSF) as one of the premier research institutions in India for US graduate students to take up research fellowships and short-term research programs. (June)
- Prof. Rajeev Sangal, IIIT-H’s Director and Head of IIIT-H’s Language Technologies Research Center (LTRC), was, in recognition of his contribution to engineering research in India, named a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineers (INAE). (Oct 2009)
- IIIT-H team was judged No. 1 globally in the Knowledge Based Population Track that was part of US Department of Commerce’ agency National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) held Text Analysis Conference (TAC) 2009. (Oct 2009) Check
- IIIT-H team finished eighth at the World Finals of CanSat 2009, which is a NASA sponsored and American Astronautical Society organized international competition that requires participants to design, build, and launch a micro-satellite. IIIT-H is the only team from India to qualify for Cansat. (June 2009) Click here for final rankings.
- Ajay Somani and Anshuman Singh, IIIT-H’s undergraduate students, figured among the top 3 winners, in each of the three online programming contests conducted, between March and May 2009, by www.codechef.com, a popular Indian programming contest website. Check March, April, May. (2009)
- Ashish Mangalampalli, a IIIT-H’s research scholar, was one of the twenty exceptional PhD students from all over the world to have been selected to be part of Yahoo!’s Key Scientific Challenges (KSC) Program, and is the only student from India to receive this very competitive award. April 2009; Check
- IIIT-H team won the South Asia Regionals of the ACM-ICPC 2009 and went up to the World Finals. ACM-ICPC is one of the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contests that drew for its first stage tens of thousands of participants on 7,109 teams, representing 1,838 universities, in 88 countries, on six continents, in 2009. (Stockholm, April)
- IIIT-H was selected by IBM for the IBM Shared University Research (SUR) award, under which the institute was lent financial support to set up a Center of Excellence (CoE) on cell and power multi-core architecture, in order to leverage on the institute’s very early research in these areas. (March) Check
- IIIT-H’s VLSI team won the first-prize at the national level Intel Scholar Program 2008 (in Graduate category) for a research proposal on Power Reduction in Off-chip Buses for Block Data; Feb 2009
- Sahiti Polishetty, an undergraduate student of computer science and engineering, received Women in Engineering Award 2009 from Google India, for consistently outstanding academic performance and leadership qualities. Check (Feb)
- Dr. Deva Priyakumar, Assistant Professor, IIIT-H has won the prestigious Young Scientist Research Award 2009 from the Government of India’s Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) for a research proposal to investigate biologically relevant and therapeutically important heterogeneous nucleic acids using molecular dynamics simulations and computer aided drug design techniques. (Feb 2009)
- Sridhar Chimalakonda, MS by Research student with IIIT-H’s Software Engineering Research Lab (SERL), was named Co-Editor for ISO/IEC 26551 and ISO/IEC 26555 - two draft proposals of standards for software product lines. The appointment was made by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7, the International Standards Organization’s (ISO’s) committee responsible for developing ISO standards in the area of Software and Systems Engineering. (May 2009)
- NVIDIA awarded Prof. P J Narayanan, IIIT-H’s Dean (R&D) and head of the institute’s Center of Visual Information Technology (CVIT), India’s first CUDA Faculty Fellowship, in recognition of his early and innovative research on massively parallel computing using CUDA technology. (Nov 2008)
- IIIT-H was judged No.1 internationally in the Squishy Question Answering Task that was part of US Department of Commerce agency National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) held Text Analysis Conference (TAC) 2008. (Oct 2008) Check
- IIIT-H’s Kshitji is the only team from India to have qualified for the finals of the RoboCup events, each year, for five years, since the contest began in 2004.
- e-Sagu, an IT-based personalized agro-advisory system, developed by IIIT-H and Media Lab Asia was a finalist at the prestigious Stockholm Challenge Award 2008 (under the economic development category). May 2008.
- IIIT-H’s VLSI students stood first at Cadence Design Contest 2008, which saw participation from over 120 premier engineering colleges in India.
- IIIT-H student figured among the top four finalists at Wolfram Research, USA organized India Student Mathematica Competition 2008.
- “Optimum Evacuation at Public Gathering Places during Times of Disasters,” a project based technical paper authored by the M Tech (CASE) students was conferred the Best Student Paper Award at the International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC 2007), Kochi, September 2007.
- e-Sagu project, an IT based personalized agro advisory system and a joint venture of IIIT-H and Media Lab Asia, has been awarded the Manthan Award 2007 (India's Best e-Content for Development in the category e-Enterprise & Livelihood).
- IIIT-H team was ranked World No. 1 in the Query Focused Multi-Document Summarization Tasks that was part of US Department of Commerce agency National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) held Document Understanding Conferences (DUC) 2007. (July)Check
- Center for Data Engineering’s research paper, published by two postgraduate researchers and the research center head, and titled "SLA Driven Process Security through Monitored E-contracts," has bagged the Best Student Paper Award at the IEEE International Services Computing Conference at Salt Lake City, USA, July 2007.
- IIIT-H stood first at the Intel India Student Research Challenge (IISRC) 2006-07 for their research project on the Design of a High Speed 32-bit Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU), and theoretically, IIIT-H students designed ALU runs faster than Intel’s own. (June)
- IIIT-H team was ranked World No. 1 in the Query Focused Multi-Document Summarization Tasks that was part of US Department of Commerce agency National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) held Document Understanding Conferences (DUC) 2006. (July) Check
- Prof. PJ Narayanan, head of IIIT-H’s Center for Visual Information Technologies (CVIT), was one of the eight researchers worldwide, and the only one outside of the USA, to be awarded academic research funding, by Microsoft Corporation, under the Project Virtual Earth, to advance Virtual Earth technologies. (Feb)
- IIIT-H was awarded the Best New Agent Award at Trading Agent Competetion 2006. Details
- eSagu was listed as one of the top 3 e-governance Projects in India by the National Institute of Smart Governance (NISG) in 2005-06.
- IIIT-H’s e-Sagu project won the CSI-Nihilent Best e-Governance Project Award (Overall); 2005-06
- A B Tech final-year student, who was on IIIT-H team that developed 'MS SQL Learning Suite', was invited for Microsoft Faculty Summit 2006, to demonstrate the learning suite.
- IIIT-H team went up to the finals of Intel India’s Student Research Contest 2005, for their research on “Interface Independent Network-on-Chip for Set-top Box / VoIP Applications’.