- Q1: I have received admission in IITs. Why should I consider joining IIIT Hyderabad?
- Q2: Why should I join the 5-year dual degree programme? In the 4-year programme, I finish one year early.
- Q3: What are some of the areas in which UG students can do research?
- Q4: Is branch change allowed?
- Q5: IIIT fee is higher than the fee at IITs or NITs. Why?
- Q6: I am not able to pay the fee. Is any financial assistance available?
- Q7: How are the on campus placement opportunities?
- Q8: Is there a hostel facility on campus? What about the other facilities?
- Q9: How is Hyderabad climate?
- Q10: What kind of city is Hyderabad? What does it have to offer?
- Q11: Where is IIIT located in Hyderabad? What facilities are available in its vicinity?
- Q12: Do I have to fill or buy IIIT Hyderabad form for admission?
- Q13: Can I apply for multiple modes of admission to IIIT?
- Q14: Is IIIT-Hyderabad participating in JEE Main-2023 counselling?
- Q15: I have heard all the students in the first year will be required to purchase laptop in the first year. Should I purchase now?
- Q16: Is there a Dual Degree Program for ECE students?
- Q17: How is the Dual Degree Program different from the B.Tech one?
- Q18: What is it in there for me in the Dual Degree Program?
- Q19: When does one have to choose the field of specialisation for the Dual Degree Program?
- Q20: What are Trans-disciplinary dual-degree programmes? Should I join them?
- Q21: I have paid on-line through debit/credit card. How do I verify if payment was successful?
- Q22: Will I receive confirmation if I send form by post / courier?
- Q23: 12th marks have not been announced for my board. What should I do?
- Q24. I have not received any confirmation email after completing phase I. What should I do?
- Q25. Is there any SC/ST/BC, women, physically challenged etc. quota for IIIT admissions?
- Q26. Will IIT JEE(Advanced) rank be considered along with JEE(Main) rank for admission?
- Q27. If I apply for admission does that guarantee that seat is reserved for me?
- Q28.If I have paid application fee (or any other fee) more than once, what should I do? Is refund applicable on the full amount?
- Q29. Is there any internal sliding possible once we join the institute?
- Q30. There seem to be lot more seats vacant in dual degree programs. Why is it so?
- Q31. What are opening and closing JEE (Main) Marks in last 5 years (branch wise)?
- Q32. What are the stipulated number of seats offered under each mode of admissions?
Q1: I have received admission in IITs. Why should I consider joining IIIT Hyderabad?
IIIT Hyderabad UG programme is unique in the country.
- It provides research opportunities, even to a UG student. Many UG students are able to publish papers in international conferences. Some even visit abroad for working with partner research groups while still a UG student.
- It has a modern and flexible curriculum which allows a student to tailor it to his/her requirements.
- Infrastructure is extremely good in academics as well as in hostels and student life.
So, if you want to achieve your dreams, of creating new technologies or do cutting edge research, come to IIIT Hyderabad.
Q2: Why should I join the 5-year dual degree programme? In the 4-year programme, I finish one year early.
The dual degree programme prepares you for research and jobs in your area of interest are likely to come up in large numbers as more R&D companies start their operations. It also prepares you for higher studies, if you wish to pursue PhD in India or abroad.
The programme takes one extra year, but then you get two degrees B.Tech. and Masters. Normally, M.Tech. requires two years beyond B.Tech. The fifth year is expected to be fully supported, if your academic performance been satisfactory and availability of funded projects in your area of research. You are also likely to get financial support in the form of teaching assistantships in the earlier years when you assist in teaching or work in funded research projects.
Q3: What are some of the areas in which UG students can do research?
Robotics, wireless communication, speech processing, machine translation, search engines, computer vision, pattern recognition, databases, data mining, VLSI, embedded systems, bio-informatics. More information here
Q4: Is branch change allowed?
Branch change is allowed between CSE and ECE after 1st year, subject to the condition that the total numbers in each branch are within 10% (plus or minus) of sanctioned strength (i.e. in the range of 90 - 110% of the sanctioned strength).
Program change from 4-year to a dual degree program is permitted typically at the end of 3rd year. Change from dual degree to 4-year program is not permitted.
Q5: IIIT-H fee is higher than the fee at IITs or NITs. Why?
IIIT offers high quality infra-structure. It has modern well-kept living facilities. It also has one of the highest bandwidth availability per student. It has a highly qualified research oriented faculty with research centres. All this costs money. Most importantly IIIT does not run on annual Government grants. This allows complete autonomy and high academic standards, but does result in a slightly higher fee. However, financial assistance is available.
Q6: I am not able to pay the fee. Is any financial assistance available?
IIIT-H special financial assistance scheme (ISFAS): Financial support is provided on a need-basis, to students through this scheme on a payback (after graduation) basis. The funds for this support is contributed by the Institute as well as alumni who, despite being young, have contributed generously. The Institute has earmarked an enhanced contribution to this pool for this year.
Q7: How are the on campus placement opportunities?
The institute believes in promoting the wholesome progression of each student as true leaders in their chosen career area. The statistics on the student's first jobs do not truly reflect the institute’s vision about their career. A detailed report on placements can be found here.
Q8: Is there a hostel facility on campus? What about the other facilities?
Yes,IIIT-H is a residential Institute and it is compulsory for all students to stay on-campus. Separate hostels for boys and girls are available on-campus with basic facilities. Hostels are completely networked with Internet facility. UG1 students are not provided network facility in their hostel rooms. However, they have access to internet in common labs during day time.
You can read about the institute's infrastructure here.
Q9: How is Hyderabad climate?
Hyderabad has a pleasant salubrious climate. It is dry, so even when it is hot under the sun, it is pleasant under the shade. It has two hot months (April and May) and even in those months there is no loo (hot wind), and evenings become pleasant. As soon as the monsoons arrive (approximately 7th June) Hyderabad becomes like an "air conditioned" city and not hot and muggy like other cities. Winters are mild with temperature rarely going below 12 degrees Centigrade at night. (Hyderabad is at an attitude of 500 m so its climate is different from rest of the Andhra climate.)
Q10: What kind of city is Hyderabad? What does it have to offer?
Hyderabad is a large metropolis (5th largest city of India) with the old world charm. It is a favoured destination of software industry in India and a large cosmopolitan city with interesting eating places, shopping areas, theatres, visibly present film industries, etc. However, it retains a personal touch of a small town. People are helpful and laid back, and surprisingly autorickshaw drivers do not "take you for a ride" unncessarily. Culturally it is active with heritage walks, monuments that invite you, painting exhibitions, Hindustani and Carnatic music.
Q11: Where is IIIT-H located in Hyderabad? What facilities are available in its vicinity?
IIIT is located in Gachibowli with a largely self contained campus. Most of your needs will be satisfied with in the campus: hostel, mess, canteen, stationery shop, weekly film shows, etc. There is a nearby market within a kilo metre from campus where items of personal need are available. IIIT is about 15 km from centre of the city but well connected with buses and shared minitaxies (tempoes). Gachibowli is a fast developing area in which several new software companies are building their campuses including Infosys, Wipro, Microsoft and others. As a result, many new facilities are coming up in the area. However, you will be busy with academic activities, and will go out relatively infrequently.
Q12: Do I have to fill or buy IIIT Hyderabad form for admission?
The admission to IIIT is through institute portals. Kindly check here for the details of filling application form and paying the application fees.
Q13: Can I apply for multiple modes of admission to IIIT?
Yes, but: (1) You will be allowed to accept, hold and pay for a seat in only one of the modes. If you wish to change your accepted programme later when offered during the admission process, you must first release your accepted seat. (2) If the modes you apply require an interview, you will be interviewed only once. For e.g. if you apply through UGEE and BOARDS, or UGEE and OLYMPIAD, you will be interviewed only for UGEE.
Q14: Is IIIT, Hyderabad participating in JEE (Main) -2023?
International Institute of Information Technology,Hyderabad is not participating in JoSAA counseling (JEE (Main) -2023). IIIT, Hyderabad offers B.Tech. admissions through Institute portal using JEE(Main) 2023 percentile.
Q15: I have heard all the students in the first year will be required to purchase laptop in the first year. Should I purchase now?
No, you do not need any Laptop in your first year. You will get access to workspace equipped with computers.
Q16: Is there a Dual Degree Program for ECE students?
Yes, there is. It has the same chracteristics as Dual Degree Program for ECE students in terms of requirements and objectives.
Refer to Q2
Q18: What is it in there for me in the Dual Degree Program?
Lot of fun in doing cutting edge research in a specific stream. Opportunities to do internships in best of places. Ability to join Research Exchange Program. A detailed information can be found here.
Q19: When does one have to choose the field of specialisation for the Dual Degree Program?
At the end of second year.
Q20: What are Trans-disciplinary dual-degree programmes? Should I join them?
Institute offers trans-disciplinary programmes leading to dual-degrees:
B.Tech in Computer Science and Master of Science in 'X', where 'X' stands for one of the following:
Computational Natural Science
Computational Linguistics, or
This will allow students to pursue new areas along with a strong computational background.Major breakthroughs in research are likely to come from such trans-disciplinary research.
Q21: I have paid on-line through debit/credit card. How do I verify if payment was successful?
Please ask your bank if amount is deducted from your credit card / debit card account. If amount is deducted then payment was successful. If you do not click anywhere on the screen while the bank website is redirecting to IIIT website after successful on-line payment, then you will see confirmation message on screen and you would also receive email with payment successful message. In case you have not received an email but the amount is deducted from your account, please send an email to 'email@example.com' with transaction ID, Bank account no., Date/Time of trasaction, Transaction amount, your name, email address, etc. details. We will try to confirm within 7 working days whether we have received the payment.
Q22:Will I receive confirmation if I send form by post / courier?
If you have specified correct email address in application form for phase-I then you should receive email confirmation about registration. We also send postal confirmation to all applicants who have filled application phase-I form through post.
Q23: 12th marks have not been announced for my board. What should I do?
Please leave the fields blank where 12th marks details are asked in phase I form if your results are not yet announced. You can fill these details in phase II form.
Q24: I have not received any confirmation email after completing phase I. What should I do?
Please check SPAM folder or bulk email folder for the confirmation email. Since such emails are generated automatically they very often go to SPAM or bulk mail folders. In case you can't find the email and the amount got deducted from your debit/credit card account then please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with transaction ID, Bank account no., Date/Time of trasaction, Transaction amount, your name, email address, etc. details and we will reply to you within 7 working days.
Q25: Is there any SC/ST/BC, women, physically challenged etc. quota for IIIT admissions?
No, there is no SC/ST/BC, women, physically challenged etc. quota or reservation of any kind for IIIT admissions. All admissions are strictly merit based and in open category.
Q26: Will IIT JEE(Advanced) rank be considered along with JEE(Main) rank for admission?
No, we only consider JEE(Main) percentile for admissions. There is however a provision for admissions based on Olympiads, BOARDS etc. Further, for students from Arts, Social Sciences and Humanitites with Mathematics there are opportunities to pursue Dual Degree Computational Linguistics or Exact Humanities. Please read here for more information on admissions based on these criteria.
Q27. If I apply for admission, does that guarantee that a seat is reserved for me?
No, Completing application phases does not guarantee that a seat is reserved for you. Allocation of seat will depend on number of people who have better JEE(Main) percentile than yours.
Q28. If I have paid application fee (or any other fee) more than once, what should I do? Is refund applicable on the full amount?
In case you have paid application fee (or any other fee) more than once by mistake or for any other reason (you find the amount has been debited from you more than once), please immediately send a mail to email@example.com. The admissions office will cross-check the same and inform you of the refund possibility.
As regards the refund amount, please note that the refund for the additional payments, if any, will be only for the fee amount that was charged by the Institute and will not include the Transaction and/or Bank charges paid as part of the online payment process.
Q29: Is there any internal sliding possible once we join the institute?
There will be no internal sliding after you join the institute. For four year/five year B.Tech/Dual degree programs in CSE and ECE, a branch change is possible according to institute rules after first year.
For other five year dual degree programs in Computational Natural Sciences, Computational Linguistics, Exact Humanities, and Building Science & Engineering as they are special programs, no branch change is allowed. So you should opt for these programs only if you are really interested in them. Your opting for programs without a serious intent to join deprives another candidate of the seat, as there would be no more rounds.
Q30. There seem to be lot more seats vacant in dual degree programs. Why is it so?
Dual degree research program is for 5-years. Students who would like to do research would generally prefer this program. However, some students whose first preference is 4 year program may also opt for 5-year dual degree program and gets the seat. In further rounds, he/she may slide to 4-year based on the vacancy which will create a vacant seat in dual degree program.
Q31. What are opening and closing JEE (Main) Marks in last 5 years?
JEE Cut Off Marks Statement from 2017 to 2022
Q32. What are the stipulated number of seats offered under each mode of admissions?
- UG Admissions through JEE (Main) Marks : CSE : 100 ECE : 70
- UG Admissions through UGEE and Interview : CSD : 35, ECD : 25, CND : 15, CLD : 15, CHD : 15
- UG Direct Admissions for Students of Abroad (DASA) : CSE : 25, ECE : 10, CND/CLD/CHD : 6
- UG Admissions through Olympiad : CSE/CLD/CND : 15
- UG Admissions through Lateral Entry : CSD : 15, ECD : 15
- UG Admissions through Special Channel of Admissions (SPEC) : CSE : 15, ECE : 15
- BOARDS Channel: CND : 10, CHD : 5.
Page last updated on July, 2023