B Tech and Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering by Research
This is a five year integrated course offered to meritorious undergraduate students, at the end of the third year. Students enroll for extra courses at the end of their third year and complete the first year equivalent of the MS by Research programme, while in the final year of the undergraduate programme. Dual Degree option enables students to acquire two degrees – B Tech (Hons) and MS by Research by successfully defending MS thesis. The normal duration for dual degree programme is five years.
B Tech and Master of Science in Electronics and Communication Engineering by Research
This is a five year integrated course offered to meritorious undergraduate students, at the end of the third year. Students enroll for extra courses at the end of their third year and complete the first year equivalent of the MS by Research programme, while in the final year of the undergraduate programme. Dual Degree option enables students to acquire two degrees – B Tech (Hons) and MS by Research by successfully defending MS thesis. The normal duration for dual degree programme is five years
B.Tech in Computer Science and Master of Science in Computational Natural Sciences by Research (5 year Dual Degree)
1.About the Program: This program is about science - but it is not limited to the way science is traditionally practiced. This is also about computer science and IT - but it is not about creating IT professionals. It is about the science that is emerging in the interface of the information revolution and the challenges posed by some of the grave issues and problems in today's world. From newer ways of acquisition and management of multivariate data on complex natural systems to newer ways of deriving knowledge from the data using novel methods of data visualization and computational simulation, the world today needs a different breed of enabled scientists who are ready to navigate this interface. This program is for those who have the inner desire to take on these grand scientific challenges.
2.Brief Objectives of the Program :Training young minds for high-quality education both in computer science and in emerging areas in computational natural sciences and eventually to 'Computational Thinking' empowered research in natural sciences;
- Providing state of the art skills pertaining to application of computers and computational sciences;
- Enabling young students to carry out research activities in several new and emerging multidisciplinary areas in sciences across the boundaries of the traditional scientific disciplines, e.g., interface of biology and nano materials, fluid dynamics, material science, networks (biological, social, epidemiology, etc.,), statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics/chemistry, structure function relationships of biological molecules, drug design, etc.; Special courses are designed to offer a multidisciplinary view in this broad research area. Students receive a basic training in all disciplines, and choose a specialization within one of these disciplines;
- Providing an environment with coming together of computer and computational scientists with domain specialists, both theoretical as well as experimental
3.Special Eligibility Criteria:
- Students with KVPY, NTS or equivalent (e.g., JBSTS), olympiad awards are admitted without JEE requirement.
- All other students coming via JEE must have an orientation towards scientific research. A high degree of interest in science is mandatory and preference will be given to winners of state or national level science project competitions, and those selected for Discovery science programs
4.Details of the program: # courses in CS : Nearly 18 courses with 72 credits;
# courses in CNS : Nearly 18 courses with 73 credits;
A few of the courses involve laboratory training;
Additionally, there are a few courses in engineering and humanities;
Mandatory projects begin usually from the sixth or seventh semester; students are encouraged to take up research projects at even earlier stages.
A few novel features of the curriculum are as follows:
- Strong research focus: students spend a significant period of the program on their own project in a research environment of internationally renowned quality; course modules are strongly related to ongoing research and are taught by research professionals;
- Complementary curricula from computer science and natural science domains;
- Integrated program: The program has been designed to ensure that core subjects are offered to all students irrespective of their final specialization area. Specialized depth courses are designed to enable students to get into the research mode in areas depending on their interests and strengths.
for areas in CS, ECE and humanities: Look for individual centers listed under 'research' in IIIT home page
Click here for the semester wise curriculum.
5. Future Prospects:
India is undergoing a rapid expansion in both academic and industrial sectors in computational natural sciences. While training in CNS launches a student into a global scientific manpower market, our intention is to reinforce scientific capabilities within the country. Most of the graduating students are expected to be absorbed in the several National universities, research labs or industrial R & D divisions. For the rest, cross-disciplinary capabilities are assured to be high, as witnessed from large scale mobility of science graduates towards corporate sector and other arena in several advanced countries.
B.Tech in Computer Science and Master of Science in Computational Linguistics by Research (5 year Dual Degree)
Computational Linguistics (CL) deals with understanding and developing computational theories of human language. Such theories allow us to understand the structure of language and build computer software that can process language. For example, if a query in English, Hindi or Telugu can be processed (that is, analyzed and understood) by the machine, then it can try to find an answer from a given database or from a set of documents. A search engine of the future is likely to use such a technology.
There is a great emphasis today on machine learning where the machine learns from real life language data. Consequently, the field is close to both Linguistics as well as Artificial Intelligence.
If you have a fascination for scientific study of natural language and combining it with computer science., this area is for you. The dual-degree programme will give you a strong grounding in both Computer Science and Linguistics, and will prepare you for academic research as well as industry research jobs in Computational Linguistics.
Click here for the semester wise curriculum.
Page last updated on 1st February, 2019