About the Program
Students admitted to the program have to complete a course work followed by breadth and depth examinations apart from the thesis work.
To provide opportunity to work on a challenging research problem in the area of Bioinformatics and computational biology.
Advantages (for the student)
The students will acquire sound concepts and learn to independently carry out research.
3 - 5 years
M.Sc in fundamental sciences, M.E/M Tech/B.E/B.Tech in CS/IT/Biotech/BioInformatics/BioMed, MCA.
The students from BTech (CSE)/MSc (Maths) may take Computer Science/Maths as subject paper, while the students from the Sciences background will have CNSB as subject paper which comprises of three sections: Physics, Chemistry and Biology + Bioinformatics, and students, depending on their background are expected to attend any one Section as a major and another section as a minor part. The questions will be multiple-choice. For outstanding candidates applications are entertained round the year.
Breadth requirements are to be satisfied by clearing the following 8 courses, with good grades, in the four areas outlined below:
Computer Science: Programming + Basics of Databases + ITWS
Courses: Computer Programming
Advanced Problem Solving
Biology: Equivalent of
Introduction to Biology
Chemistry and Structural bioinformatics: Equivalent of
Advanced Biomolecular Architecture
Biomolecular Structure Interactions and Dynamics
Biostatistics and Bioinformatics: Equivalent of
Introduction to Bioinformatics
- Specific courses may be waived for students who prove their respective backgrounds. If a student feels that (s)he has the required basic knowledge, (s)he may seek a certificate to this effect from the teacher of the course and get it ratified by the coordinator of the Bioinformatics program. The center may also ask the students to take qualifier examinations in the breadth areas instead of taking the respective courses.
- Students either need to do the required courses or acquire the relevant knowledge by independent/self study. When a course with a title matching with a topic above is being offered, students may take that course. If such a course is not offered, then a related course may be taken.
- In any case the students need to complete their minimum number of courses as part of depth requirements, as elaborated below. The minimum course requirements should be satisfied with no PCO credits.
- Satisfactory performance is defined as getting a grade of B or higher in each of these courses.
- Students are required to clear any four courses of level 4000 or above. They may choose options from offered electives or from approved breadth equivalent courses.
- It may be noted that the above represents the absolute minimum number of courses that a student must take, irrespective of his or her background. Depending on their backgrounds, and as per advice of supervisor, some students may have to do more courses.
- Students are encouraged to take additional courses to build breadth and depth of knowledge in areas of their choice.
List of Courses:
Breadth equivalent Programming + ITWS + Basics of Databases
Biostatistics + Introduction to Bioinformatics + Advanced Bioinformatics
Advanced Molecular Architecture/Advanced Biomolecular Architecture + BMSID
Introduction to Biology + Advanced Biology
(IT) Datastructures, DBMS, Data Mining, AI and Soft Computing, Pattern Recognition
(Domain) Computational Modeling and Simulation, Structural Bioinformatics, Computer-Aided Drug Design
Page last updated on March, 2020