About the Program:
The Ph.D. is a research oriented doctoral program. The dissertation is the centerpiece of the program.
The coursework and qualifiers are there to ensure the necessary breadth in the areas for the student. The semester wise courses and the planning of Ph.D. study are dependent on the student's background. It is expected that a Ph.D. student takes the relevant courses in first two semesters. After the first year the student works on clearing the Ph.D. qualifying exam, followed by Ph.D. proposal defense, and then Ph.D. thesis defense.
- To impart knowledge of IT related applications for Power Systems.
- To impart Power Systems knowledge for deregulated and restructures power system.
- To impart knowledge regarding use of IT and IT-based systems.
Advantages (for the student):
- The students will get the knowledge in the area of the Power and Energy Systems relevant for the restructured and deregulated power system environment.
- The student will get the knowledge in the area of IT application for power systems
- The students will have excellent career prospects as the program involve a unique blending of IT and Power Systems, which has a very high demand in Industry, Research organization as well as in Academia.
Masters or B. Tech. in Electrical Engineering/Electrical and Electronics Engineering/Electronics and Communication Engineering/Computer Science
Course Work requirements
Students with Masters degree: 4 courses
Others: 8 courses
A Ph.D. student should clear a set of qualifying exams to test his or her breadth of knowledge.
The student is expected to defend his or her dissertation proposal in front of a suitable committee appointed by the Dean. A student is declared a Ph.D. candidate after this requirement is satisfied.
The doctoral dissertation should be approved by a panel of experts. The dissertation must be defended to a committee appointed by the Dean.
Some of the Courses are:
- Power Systems State Estimation
- Load Forecasting
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Distribution System Engineering
- Power System Protection
- Power Systems Operation and Control
- Advanced Power System Analysis
- Distribution Automation
- Power System Reliability
- Power System Stability
- Problem Solving and Programming
- Computing Tools
- Advanced Problem Solving
- Soft Computing
- Database Management Systems
- Optimization Techniques
- Numerical Analysis
- Pattern Recognition
- Embedded Systems
- Spatial Informatics
- Software Engineering