International Achievements (Multi-year)
- CanSat is a NASA sponsored and American Astronautical Society organized annual international competition. The contest allows student teams, from colleges and Universities around the world, to design, fabricate, and launch an aerospace system (CanSat). IIIT-H has been has been the only team from India to qualify for World Finals, each time, since 2009.
- World First, at the Finals at Amarillo, Texas, USA, June 13
- Only team from Asia to qualify for World Finals
- World 8th at World Finals. (June 2009)
- First ever team from India to qualify for CanSat.
- Check Cansat website for final rankings.
Text Analysis Conference (TAC)
Document Understanding Conferences (DUC)
US Department of Commerce’ agency National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) holds Text Analysis Conference (TAC) every year. TAC was called Document Understanding Conferences (DUC) till 2008. In 2009, TAC attracted from across the world around 40 leading research teams including the University of Columbia, Stanford, Microsoft Research, IBM Research Labs, University of Edinburgh, and National University of Singapore (NUS). Below are the results of IIIT-H’s participation at TAC/ DUC.
World No.1 in Knowledge Based Population Track (TAC). Check
World No.1 in Squishy Question Answering Task (TAC). Check
World No.1 in Query Focused Multi-Document Summarization Tasks (DUC). Check
World No. 1 in Query Focused Multi-Document Summarization Tasks (DUC). Check
It is the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contest. The 2012 edition drew for its first stage over 30,000 participants on more than 7,000 teams, representing around 2,200 universities, in over 85 countries. Results of IIIT-H’s participation over the past four years.
2012 (36th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, Warsaw, Poland)
- Only Indian college to qualify for World Finals, for fourth time in a row.
- World 18th position.Check
- Best performance by an Indian team in ICPC history (co-shared with IIT Delhi).
2011 (35th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, Orlando, Florida, USA)
- Top Indian team
- World 42nd position.Check
- Only Indian college with two teams qualified for World Finals
- Awarded Certificate of Achievement
2010 (34th Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, Harbin, China)
- Top Indian team.
- World 36th position.Check
- Awarded Certificate of Achievement
2009 (33rd Annual ACM ICPC World Finals, Stockholm, Sweden)
- Top Indian team
- World 54th position. Check
- Received Honorable Mention
Google India Women in Engineering Awards
The Awards –called Google India Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship from 2012 – are meant to recognize and reward deserving women students in Computer Science and related majors, and inspire them to become active participants and leaders in creating technology. Given annually, the award is based on excellence in academics, passion for technology, demonstrated leadership, and originality of thought
Lydia Manikonda, a dual degree student (CSE).
Check the official list of awardees.
2010 – Two students
Chhaya Methani, dual degree (CSE).
Kirti Garg, PhD (CSE)
Check the list of awardees.
Sahiti Polishetty, B Tech (CSE).
Check the list of awardees.
IIIT-H’s Team Kshitji was the only team from India to have qualified for the finals of the RoboCup events, each year, for five years, since the inception of the international contest in 2004. Awarded Best New Agent Award at the Trading Agent Competition Supply Chain Management (TAC SCM), 2006.
National Achievements (Multi-year)
- SPOJ – Every month since April 2009
Number #1 globally at the Sphere Online Judge (SPOJ), a highly popular programming site, with over 30, 000 users from 120 countries, since April 2009.
For rankings, click www.spoj.pl/ranks/institutions/
- Codechef – Every month since Jan 2010
- At least five of the top 20 winners at the Codechef’s national-level monthly programming contests, since Jan 2008, have been IIIT-H students.
- For details click here or check at http://www.codechef.com
Dataquest’s all-India ranks of IIIT-H. Ranks cover the IITs too.
- 2012 --- Top 3 overall and #1 on placements
- 2011 --- Top 5 overall and #1 on placements
- 2010 --- Top 5 overall and top 3 on placements
- 2009 --- Top 7 overall and top 5 on placements
- 2008 --- Top 7 overall and top 3 on placements
- 2007 --- Top 9 overall and top 5 on placements
- 2006 --- Top 10 overall
India Today magazine rankings of IIIT-H. Ranks cover the IITs too.
- 2012 --- Top 20 over all
- 2011 --- Top 14 over all
- 2010 --- Top 16 over all
- 2009 --- Top 16 over all
- 2008 --- Top 13 over all
- 2007 --- Top 16 over all
Outlook Magazine rankings of IIIT-H. Ranks cover the IITs too.
- 2012 --- Top 14 over all
- 2011 --- Top 16 over all
- 2010 --- Top 11 over all
- 2009 --- Top 25 over all
A Lasting Contribution to the Nation
- The Indian languages machine translation system developed by a IIIT-H led consortium, was launched by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, at the international conference WWW 2011, in March 2011.
- While the first edition of the system provides automatic text translation in four Indian language pairs, the next versions will feature a dozen more Indian languages.
- The consortium consisting of 11 Indian academic institutions has been funded by the Government of India's Department of Information Technology (DIT).
- Harini Sampath (PhD student) won 3rd prize and Yashaswi Verma (PhD student) won the honorable mention award in TechVista 2013. TechVista is an annual Computer Science research symposium organized by Microsoft Research India.
- Mr K S Vijaya Sekhar received the 'CSI Service Award' for his significant contribution to eGovernance at National level for the year 2011-12.
- P. Raghu Nandan Vyas (PG2, M.Tech. CASE) and Akash K. Chauhan (PG1, M.Tech CASE) won first prize in IASTRUCTE – S. C. Mehrotra Essay Competition. This award is given to students by Indian Association of Structural Engineering.
- M. Kumaraswamy (Ph.D. student) received the best paper presentation award for the paper "Village-level eSagu: A Scalable and Location-Specific Agro-advisory System" in National Seminar on Futuristic Agricultural Extension for Livelihood Improvement and Sustainable Development in January 2013 at Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- Dr. Suril Vijaykumar Shah has received the prestigious Inspire Faculty award from the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Prof. Yegnanarayana B. has been honoured with the Distinguished Alumnus Award of the IISc, Bangalore for the year 2013.
- Mr. T. J. David, Inventor in Engineering Technology and Innovation Centre (ENTICE) was awarded the DST-Lockheed Martin India Innovation Growth Programme 2013 for his technology “Solar Powered Crop Harvester”.
- Yashaswi Verma (PhD student) from Center for Visual Information Technology (CVIT) received prestigious Microsoft Research India PhD Fellowship for the year 2013.Check
- Rajvi Shah (PhD student) from Center for Visual Information Technology (CVIT) received prestigious Google India PhD Fellowship for the Year 2013.Check
- Harit Pandya (PhD student) from Robotics Research Center (RRC) and Saurabh Saini (PhD student) from Center for Visual Information Technology (CVIT) received TCS PhD fellowship for the year 2013.
- K Sai Deepak, in the first semester of his PhD program at IIIT-H’s Center for Visual Information Technologies (CVIT), was selected for 2012 Google PhD Fellowship. He was one of the four to be awarded the fellowship in India. Sai Deepak did MS by Research in Medical Image Analysis at CVIT, under the guidance of Prof. Jayanti Sivaswamy, in 2012. (PDF, HTML) (Aug)
- IIIT-H’s Lab for Spatial Informatics (LSI) launched VRGeo, an open-source collaborative technology for mapping geospatial information in India, at Garuda NKN (National Knowledge Networks) Partners Meet, C-DAC, Bengaluru, on July 20, 2012 (PDF, HTML) (July)
- Mr. Jayadev GAG, head of IIIT-H’s Communications and Fundraising, was extended the Best Placement and Brand Marketing Officer Award, at the World Education Congress 2012. The international award was in recognition of his earlier work at IIIT-H as head of placement. (PDF, HTML) (June)
- IIIT-H secured World No.3 place at the 10th Annual Trading Agent Competition Supply Chain Management (TAC SCM), in Valencia, Spain, June 4-8, 2012. TAC SCM was designed to capture many of the challenges involved in supporting dynamic supply chain practices. Check IIIT-H team IOTA in final rankings. Click for details (PDF, HTML) (June)
- IIIT-H finished Top 18 at the World Finals of the 36th Annual ACM ICPC 2012, Warsaw, Poland, on May 14-18. Best performance by an Indian team in ICPC history. Only college from India to qualify for the World Finals for the fourth time in a row. ACM ICPC is the world’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious programming contest, and the 2012 edition drew for its first stage over 30,000 participants on more than 7,000 teams, representing around 2,200 universities, in over 85 countries, on six continents. Click for official rankings. IIIT-H internal announcement (PDF, HTML). (May)
- Prof. Nand Kishore Acharya, with IIIT-H’s Centre for Exact Humanities (CEH), was presented the prestigious award Maharana Kumbha Samman 2012, by the Maharana Mewar Foundation, Udaipur, India, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the Hindi literature. Details (PDF, HTML) (Feb)
- Mr. Jayadev GAG, head of IIIT-H’s Communications Office, was conferred the Best Placement & Brand Marketing Officer Award, by the Stars of the Industry Group. The award was in recognition of Mr. Jayadev’s leadership, brand marketing, and performance on placement, during an earlier stint as the head of IIIT-H’s campus placement for graduated classes 2007 to 2011. Details (PDF, HTML) (Feb)
- Music curriculum designed by IIIT-H’s Cultural Advisor Sri. DVK Vasudevan was adopted by the Government of AP’s Education Department for the Jawahar Bal Bhavan. Jawahar Bal Bhavan is a state wide, non formal educational initiative and targets children aged between 5 and 16 years. Details (PDF, HTML) (Jan)
Page last updated on 8th April, 2015